In 1988, The Centennial History of Hurricane, WV was published to commemorate the town’s 100th anniversary. Since the Centennial History is now out of print, the Breeze is reprinting articles from the book as space allows. This week’s selection will be the 249th installment of the Centennial History.
JACOB REED YOUNG
Submitted by Emily (Young) Tincher
Jacob Reed Young was an early settler in the Hurricane, Putnam County, West Virginia area. According to a descendant, Emily Agnes (Young) Tincher, daughter of Joseph “Weep” Young and Rosa Ann (Robinson), Jacob was born August 26, 1790. He married first Nancy Stephenson. He married second at age seventy to Cynthia Higgenbotham on May 21, 1869. Jacob’s home stood on the James River and Kanawha Turnpike (on what now is U.S. 60) at Sams Fork and Snag Creek. Lewis Tackett deeded to Jacob R. Young 100 acres land there.
By his first wife, Jacob had nine children:
- James Young, born September 15, 1811. He married Rebecca Stephenson on July 27, 1839.
- John Valley Young, born 1813. He married Paulina Franklin on January 18, 1840. He died on November 13, 1867.
- Alexander Young, born 1815. He married Sarah Ann Stephenson. He died on December 2, 1871.
- Margaret Young, born 1816. She married James Cyrus in
- She died on November 24, 1866.
- Lewis Norman Young, born July 29, 1820. He married America Hart, who died on May 15, 1899.
- Malinda young, born 1821. She married John Prouse on January 29, 1850.
- Sarah A. Young, born August 10, 1825. She married Thomas Sims February 23, 1847.
- Samuel Early Young, born July 26, 1826. She married Moriah Hart on February 12, 1852. He died April 27, 1918.
- Nancy Young, born July 26, 1828/9. She married Van Buren Stephenson on January 21, 1857. She died in 1867.
Jacob and Nancy’s son, Alexander Young and his wife, Sarah Ann (Stephenson) built their home where the Alexander Young Cemetery sets now. Old Jacob deeded 25 A land to Alexander in 1840. That tract lay on the north side of U.S. 60 and west of Coal Mountain. Later Jacob deeded two more tracts to Alexander: One was 50 acres; the other was 25 acres.
Alexander and Sarah (Stephenson) Young also had nine children:
- James L. Young, born 1843. He married Mary Frances Henderson on June 1, 1863. James L. died on July 2, 1874.
- Nancy A. Young, born 1843. She died of consumption on February 27, 1867, single.
- William Leftrich Young, born 1895. He married Mary F. Brown.
- Amanda J. Young, born 1847. She died on June 13, 1871, single.
- Madison Young, born 1849. He died on November ca. 1872/73 of tuberculosis, single.
- John W. Young, born October, 1853. He died on November 30, 1854.
- Benjamin F. Young, born August 27, 1855. He died at age fifteen.
- Emily F. Young, born April 24, 1857. He married April 9, 1883. He died ca. 1925/26.
- David Stephenson Young, born December 24, 1859. He married February 17, 1892, in Summersville, Nicholas County, West Virginia. He died ca. 1945/46.
A digital copy of the Centennial History can be obtained from the Hurricane City Hall for a small donation. For more information, call the City of Hurricane at (304) 562-5896.