In 1988, The Centennial History of Hurricane, WV was published to commemorate the town’s 100th anniversary. In 1994, the Centennial Committee published a follow up book which included family histories which were not submitted in time for the 1988 Centennial History. This week’s selection is the 16th history from The Centennial History of Hurricane WV Continued — 1994.
JOHN T. HARBOUR
John T. Harbour was born 10, October, 1831, in Teays Valley, the oldest child of David Harbour Jr. and Elizabeth McCallister Harbour. His father died when he was only 19 years old leaving him to help his mother with the six young children.
John T. married 13, July, 1852, Adaliza Roberts born January, 1833, in Virginia, daughter of Thomas and Susan Petty Roberts. Adaliza died 30, April, 1903, at the home of her son, Thomas. She is buried in Hurricane, possibly in what is known as Burton Cemetery where three of their infants are buried.
This cemetery was started by her father, Thomas Roberts. It is mentioned in his will when he wills the land to another daughter and son-in-law, John & Elizabeth Roberts Burton. John T. is possibly also buried there since he died 10, September, 1881, in Teays Valley.
There is record of ten children of John T. and Adaliza Harbour.
- James M. Harbour born 1853, married Mary Susan Billups 27, April, 1872. They had four children before he disappeared at the young age of 25.
- Charles W. Harbour born 3, December, 1854, died 15, July, 1877. He is possibly buried in Burton Cemetery.
- Loutitia Harbour born 1856, married Peter Davis 24, October, 1873 in Gallia County, Ohio.
- Thomas Marion Harbour born in 1858, died 1909. Married 3, October, 1881, Jennette Kirtley. They had two daughters. He had an uncle named Thomas Marion Harbour who was an outstanding citizen of Hurricane.
- Black Moore Harbour born 1860, died 1936, married Virginia Chapman. They had several daughters and one son, Blackburn Harbour. Black and Virginia are buried on top of the hill on their family farm a few miles north of Hurricane.
- Molly Harbour born 1863, died 1865.
- Robert Harbour born 1864, died 1932, married 23, June, 1888, Virginia Keller. They raised their family in Huntington and are buried in Woodmere Cemetery in Huntington.
- Richard Harbour born 1866. He was on the 1880 Putnam County census as a 14 year old. No further information.
- Harry Harbour born 1868, died 1869.
- Infant daughter born 1, December, 1869, died 1, December, 1869.