Valley Bell School was built in Teays in 1910 on the highest elevation in Teays Valley (opposite Teays Valley Baptist Church on State Route 34).
The fence at the left would have been a relic of the past when the school was built as barbed wire replaced split rail as fencing of choice before the beginning of the twentieth century.
The school was dependent upon natural light for its first thirty years. The Putnam Board of Education ordered the superintendent of schools to contract for the installation of electricity in the school on October 3, 1939, providing that there be no charges for installation to the Board.
The school was closed after the 1950-51 school year.
The photo was submitted to the Breeze for publication by the late Paul Ellis of Hurricane.