Buffalo High School turned 100 this year. In honor of this momentous occasion, the Friends of Buffalo WV History opened the Welcome Center to the public on October 22 and 23.
Buffalo High School came into existence in 1921. Prior to this, students attended area one room schools. For one year, the new high school was located in the Buffalo Academy. After that, the school was moved to a location behind the present day Raynes Funeral Home, where it would remain until 1951. The Academy would become an elementary school.
After 1951, Buffalo High School was moved to its third location on Route 62. This building is still owned and used by the Board of Education.
The new Buffalo High School was built in 2012, and its present location on Route 62.
Buffalo High played its first football game in 1923, and was led by Coach Groves. The principal was J. R. Lovenstein.
Buffalo’s mascot was originally a bulldog and the school’s colors were orange and black. However, during the tenure of Coach Joe Zaleski from 1935-1940, the school’s colors and mascot changed. While visiting West Virginia University in Morgantown, Coach Zaleski was able to obtain a supply of old uniforms that the football team had planned on discarding. WVU donated the uniforms to Buffalo, and the school’s colors were changed to blue and gold. It is unknown when the mascot was changed from the bulldog to a bison.
Members of the class of 1925 were Edward Carr, Martha Carson, Norme Daugherty, Reba Devore, Howard Donohoe, Keeling L. Fife, Sallie Conner Fife, Mildred G. Gates, Celestine McCoy, Reta Montague, Anna Quickle, James E. Scott, Joseph E. Scott, Paul Siders, Wilson Siders, Glen Skinner, Pearl Sknner, Ethel Thornton, and Gracie Weaver.
Yearbooks, sports programs, and school newspapers were on display at the Welcome Center for the anniversary celebration. Some of the papers dated to the 1920’s. The oldest yearbook was from 1929 and featured glued in photos and text produced on a typewriter.