Lewis Paul home built in 1904
In 1988, The Centennial History of Hurricane, WV was published to commemorate the town’s 100th anniversary. In 1994, the Centennial Committee published a follow up book which included family histories which were not submitted in time for the 1988 Centennial History. This week’s selection is the 8th history from The Centennial History of Hurricane WV Continued — 1994.
E. R. AND RUTH H. EDDINS
E. R. and Ruth H. Eddins residence on Hodges Road off of Route 60, Route 3 – Box 219-A, Hurricane, West Virginia. This house was originally owned by Lewis Paul at the west end of Mynes Road at Route 60.
According to the Assessor’s records in the Putnam County Court House, it was built in 1904. There were four rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs and two porches. From all appearances, at the time city water became available, the kitchen was converted into a bathroom and a portion of the back porch was enclosed to make a kitchen. About 1987 the property was sold to Gene Dunlap.
May 31, 1992 the Eddins moved to a different location on property formerly owned by Col. Joseph R. Hill, subsequently L Y. Hill, then his daughter Clara Hill Hodges and then to her daughter Ruth Hodges Eddins, making the land the fourth generation ownership. The house has been completely renovated with vinyl siding an entirely new front porch, new back porch extended with a deck and a second bath added upstairs. A bay window was added to the living room as well as new windows throughout with shutters. All new interior doors were installed, a new staircase and complete trim. The Eddins moved into their home November 11, 1992. It is now a very comfortable colonial home and we are fortunate to have been able to save it.